Teddy Blanks: Errol Morris's Problem With Photography
Still from Abu Ghraib reenactment scene, Standard Operating Procedure , 2008 In Sontag & Kael: Opposites Attract Me , Craig Seligman writes of Susan Sontag and her collection On Photography : "She's profoundly troubled by certain ethical and aesthetic issues arising from the mechanical nature of the medium, such that a more accurate title for the book might be On Some Problems in Photography ." I mention this quip because I was reminded of it last week, as I sat nervously in the tiny "Cinémathèque" at Brandeis University in Boston after a screening of Errol Morris's new documentary, Standard Operating Procedure. During the Q&A session following the film, which is comprised partly of interviews with five of the "seven bad apples" who were prosecuted in connection with the famous photos taken of the abuses afflicted on prisoners at Abu Ghraib, Morris said that one of his chief reasons for beginning the project was to explore "some ...


Comentários